Monday, October 12, 2009

The Wedding!

Whew!  It's over, and it was great!  I'm glad to be back.  Most of my family and I were in Charleston, SC all weekend.

We stayed off the peninsula, near the base of this modern bridge. It's very long, over 3 miles.  Curly enjoyed running on it.



It's very impressive when you drive on it too.  Very very tall.



The bride loved her tatted handkerchief, and thanked me several times for it.

The rehearsal dinner was terrific.  It was held at one of the oldest buildings in Charleston. The Stooges (Larry didn't come - had to work) got a tour of the old Provost Dungeon in the bottom.  Too cool. The food was very old south - fried chicken, squash cassarole, green beans, red rice, and lemon chess pie.  Mmm.  Lots of my brother's friends (and me) got up to toast them.  It was great fun.

The day of the wedding was so pretty.  But damn, it was HOT!  It was a very humid 90 degrees, really warm, even for Charleston in October. 

The wedding was held at the church that was my dad's last as full time pastor.  (He died in 2007.)  Daddy would have been delighted about all of this.  Isn't the church pretty?

I read the scripture (I Corinthians 13) and my sister sang a gorgeous piece in German by G F Handel. My sister has a lovely clear soprano.

The Stooges, DH, and I cleaned up pretty well for the wedding. Moe's jacket and tie were from the same thrift store where Curly's suit was found.



I surreptitiously took some pictures during the ceremony.  I had to sit over to the side, since I needed easy access to the pulpit.  I took this one with my cell phone looking over my program while we sang a hymn.



The bride looked radiant, and the groom handsome.  The groom is my only brother.  The colors his bride choose were melon - honeydew and cantelope.  The flowers were lovely.  Isn't her dress pretty?




The reception was at this elegant hall, on the second floor.  Another very old building.  Charleston is really quite spectacular.



The food was great.  These are a few of the hors d'oeurvres.  Many more were passed.



The cake was beautiful; the decorations matched the invitations exactly.  If you look, you'll see that it's not fondant frosting - it's butter cream.  That takes some real talent to do.  And it was delicious - the frosting was orange flavored, with key lime pie cake. Mmmmm



There were lots of good eats, including shrimp and grits, she-crab soup, gazpacho, sweet potato biscuits with ham, delicious beef tenderloin, scallops with proscuitto, and shrimp salad sandwiches. Lots to drink too.

And there were many guests.  Friends of the happy couple came from Japan, Norway, Germany (the bride is German, though now a US citizen), the US West Coast, and Boston.  Our family came from South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.  I love seeing all my extended family.  I really and truly am crazy about all of them.

                         

One things my family is known for  - we know how to throw a good party!  We do it up right.  (Curly said he felt wealthy in his suit with the elegant surroundings.)  And a good and happy time was had by all! 

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely and elegant wedding and reception!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. Found you on In Tatters....you do lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Crazy mom....you are this weeks big prize winner of my Mondo Giveaway....go check my blog. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  4. The church is beautiful and your description is so fun to read. The menu sounds fabulous - much different than any wedding in the Midwest would have! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete