Sunday, July 4, 2010

Holiday weekend

Things we are doing for Independence Day, the Fourth of July:

My wrist is a bit better. So I've finished off my 6 crocheted place mats, hiding all the ends. I'm sending these to my sister in Charleston.


Mow and I watched the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest. The winner ate 54 hot dogs in 10 minutes. Then he downed a bunch of Pepto Bismal.  Really, he wasn't about to hurl here.



We are amusing the bad kitten with a laser pointer. He is frantic with joy. This has not stopped him from jumping at my extremities - I got scratched on the back on my left hand before I got out of bed this morning.

I hope to get back on my tatting, with the improvement of my wrist.  I'm off work this coming week, and I plan to get some serious work done on my TAT course.  Plus the Winsome Drop Earrings!

I arrived at work Thursday and found a charming present on my desk.  I work with a very international group, and one of my buddies just got back from visiting his motherland of Russia.  He brought us all these great wooden boxes.  What a sweetheart...  I came over to his desk and sternly told him I needed to talk to him, which scared my Russian buddy.  (He's not much older than Larry.)  Then I thanked him and offered to kiss him, European style.  He was very embarrassed.


Aren't they great? All red inside.  What to put in it?


We are going to grill out today. I have some country style pork ribs and hamburgers and hot dogs and corn on the cob. Mmmm.  Nummers.

Larry's friend K is coming over to hang out and play with the kitten. Larry is worried about her, and brings her here to perk her up and feed her. Chez Crazy is comfy for K.

And this evening, we will go over to sit in the front lawn of my church and watch the local fireworks. It's fun! Then we'll come home and shoot a few bottle rockets in the driveway.  The Stooges love anything that explodes.

Happy 4th!

6 comments:

  1. Those competitive food eating contests make ME want to hurl. Could you imagine what would happen if one of those guys needed to have the Heimlich maneuver performed on them? Ugh, THAR SHE BLOWS!!

    That box is quite lovely. Whatever you put in it, make sure it has no sharp edges. That red is to beautifully vivid to mar.

    Glad your wrist is doing better. If you can find it, try rubbing some Tiger Balm on your wrist. It's the best thing I've ever used. It comes in a small jar and can be found at Walgreen's. At least, here in Michigan anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Hot Dog contest has just been shown on the morning news here in Brisbane! Have to say I thought it was horrible......
    I'm sure your bad little kitten will turn into a most gorgeous big cuddly cat - I miss having a cat around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh...do you have any of the Russian shuttles? They are very wide at the post part, excellent for working with beads. Then you could put them in their "home away from home" box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your wrist is better! It sounds like a lovely weekend. Enjoy your week off!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty!
    That hot dog eating contest both fascinates and disgusts me. Like an autopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, pretty, pretty box. Imagine a doily in the bottom, with that red peeking through. Mmmm.

    Oh, have you done the soda&mentos thing for/with your stooges? Take a 2L bottle of (diet) soda (name brand works better for some reason). Drill a hole in the cap; run an unbent paperclip through 5 Mentos and pull the empty end of the paperclip through the hole in the cap. Take bottle, etc outdoors. Screw the cap back onto the bottle; drop the Mentos into the bottle and run away. Watch the geyser.

    ReplyDelete