Saturday, May 15, 2010

Crocheted Dishcloth

Quick info on how to crochet my dishcloth.
I'm NOT a good crochet person. I tat. I sew. I knit and crochet a bit, so this really isn't my area.  But it is fun and this is a nice little dishcloth, with a waffle type pattern.  And it's suitable for beginners.  I'm not going to do a tutorial because I can't do it justice. If you want to make the dishcloth, and you can't crochet, I recommend you start here. This lady gives great video instruction.
OK - here goes. These were made using Lily Sugar 'n Cream 100% cotton yarn. One skein makes a nice sized dishcloth or 2 small ones.  My friend Mrs. V loves these and swears they are the very best thing for washing babies, because the cotton is so soft.
 
For the smaller dishcloth, cast on 30 stitches. (For larger items, cast on an even divisor of three, like 36 or 42.  The green dishcloth is 42 stitches across.).
I like to start my first side in the back of the cast on loops. If you look at the chain you created, one side has a series of V-shaped loops. The other side has some nubs. I like to start in the nubs - it makes the first row look better.

Also, this dishcloth has a waffle weave created by alternating double crochets into the front and back of the stitch.  DCB is double crochet in the back part of the stitch, DCF is double crochet in the back part of the stitch.

OK - here goes.

Abbreviations:
ch = Chain
st = Stitch
dc = Double crochet
dcb = double crochet in the back loop only
dcf = Double crochet in the front loop only
  • Ch 30. ( This is for the smaller dishcloth, almost a hot pad size. For larger items, cast on an even divisor of three, like 36 or 42).
  • Foundation row: (WS). 1 dc in 4th nub from hook (counts as 2 dc). 1 dc in each nub to end of chain. 27 dc. Turn.
  • 2nd row: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 2 dcf in next 2 st. *3 dcb in each of next 3 sts. 3 dcf in each of next 3 sts.Rep from * to end of row. 27 dc. Turn
  • Repeat 2nd row to end until either work is square (small dishcloth) or it is at desired length. Fasten off, hide ends.  I single crocheted a loop for the smaller dishcloth.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment