Sunday, December 6, 2009

A weekend with no Christmas decorating

Friday night I had a great evening murdering coworkers hanging out with some old college buddies. I went to a single gender institute of higher learning and my graduating class was small, so we know each other and enjoy hanging out.  This time, we went to Ms. G's place, a gawgeous restored Victorian home that had been in her husband's family since forever.  I want that house.  We ate great food, but mostly we sat around and told funny stories, like one that was told by Madame R, whose 94 year old mother called her up and demanded to know where the shotgun was.  You know, just in case Mama needed to shoot an intruder.  Hee.  I told about being called borderline retarded by Curly, and about the unexpected joy of puppies. 

When she saw Ms. G's spectacular 10 foot live fir Christmas tree, decorated to the nines, Ms. L asked us if we all got warm fuzzie feelings and had happy family times while decorating our Christmas trees.  We all roared.  Many stories of fights with spouses while putting up trees were told.  Stories of trees falling over, how trees were now lashed to the walls, how husbands cannot put up Xmas lights (they throw them all up in a clump and think they're done), broken ornaments, and other joy.  (A friend recently told me of how as a kid, he brought his BB gun inside and had fun shooting out the glass bulbs on the tree.  He did this once.  Then his mama like 'ta kilt him.)   We collectively assured Ms. L that it was NORMAL to not have those warm fuzzies with putting up those decorations.  Frankly, I don't know of anyone who gets that happy feeling, unless it's newlyweds.  It don't last.

In short, a very good time was had by all.  We were sorry to have to depart and go back to our own homes, where we each would face prospect of Christmas decorating all too soon.  (I have a wreath on my door and that's all I've done.)

Here's someone who's gone overboard decorating.  This house is just outside my subdivision (isn't it ginormous?) and there are vast quantities of Christmas Crappe in the yard.  Only part of the yard is visible here.  Trust me, this is about a fourth of what is strewn about their yard.  Pretty.



Today, Moe and I helped at church by lighting the Advent Wreath at the 11 am service and leading the accompaning responsive reading.  Moe had to carry a lit candle in, and I was afraid he might light some people on fire, particularly the elders marching right ahead of us (we were having communion).  Fortunately, it all went off without a hitch and Moe's candle was doused without having to use a fire extinguisher.

This afternoon I went to my book club.  I almost didn't go - I hadn't finished reading the book.  Then I found that no one else had either!  I was greatly relieved that I was not the only person who hated the book. I'm usually very good about being ready for the meeting.  The book was Guard of Honor by James Gould Cozzens, which won the Pulitzer for fiction in about 1948.  All of us hated it, couldn't slog through it no matter how hard we tried.  Made us question how Pulitzer Prize winners are chosen. 

Try as I might, I haven't been able to pawn off a puppy on anyone yet. Damn.



ttfn

2 comments:

  1. Read my post about putting up my Christmas tree. No warm fuzzies there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! The most fun I've had putting up the tree involved my (grown up) kids. They did the work and I sat back and watched! And the tree is pre-lit. I put up the tree all by myself this year (Hubby had to work) so it's up, and lit. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete