Monday, April 17, 2023

A letter in the post

Do you remember when I blogged about the collar I made?

You know - this one.

When I sent the collar off, I included a letter explaining how the collar was made, my personal history in tatting, and that I did this in tribute to a late member of the Supreme Court who was famous for wearing beautiful collars with her robes. Oh, and I gave information on the Care and Feeding of the collar.

I mailed it off to the recipient last fall and hadn't heard a word. I figured it had gotten lost in the pile of presents that officials get.

I had kind of hoped to get some kind of official acknowledgement, perhaps a form letter from a staff member. I would have been satisfied with this.

I hadn't thought about this in a while. I had given up on hearing something.

UNTIL YESTERDAY!

Yesterday when I checked the mail I found this letter!

Please note the return address

(I checked my mail on the way to run errands. I HAD to open it immediately!)

And inside I found this lovely, handwritten note - from the Justice herself! And on her personalized official notecards, much more informal than official stationary!


And there was more - she had to continue on the other side!

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I am ecstatic! To receive such a personal thank you from such a high official is really unheard of these days. Usually the best one might get is a member of staff sending out a nice letter on official stationary.

For those who live elsewhere, this is as if you might have sent something tatted to your Home Secretary and got a hand written thank you note in return.

I look forward to seeing her wear this collar on the bench. When I do, I'll post about it!

4 comments:

  1. So very glad it didn’t get lost in the post. What a lovely letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I’m glad your gift was acknowledged in such a personal way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely letter makes you feel more worthwhile and they received it and liked it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jumping up and down happy for you. Wouldn't it be wonderful if she would wear your collar (and others) on the bench in the manner of RBG.

    ReplyDelete